So we're doing this thing, see (now with too many pictures)

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

So we're doing this thing, see (now with too many pictures)

Postby Rev » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:19 am

Hello again, Citizens!

To save us all some time, I have composed a chart to illustrate whether this particular post will be of any interest to you.

Still with me? Weird.

Now, as some of you know, I've been thinking about taking a longer trip on the way to Ragnarok, and as some other small number of you may know, I am a great fan of the book "Across America By Motorcycle" which was written in 1922 by a guy who made the trip in 1919.

Since I am very bad at planning, I have been unable to figure out where I wanted to go (Like that pulled pork barbecue idea? That was just silly.), so a couple of weeks ago I decided I would just follow the route taken by C.K. Shepherd in 1919 and write about it. Also I needed a gimmick, or I'd just be fucking around on a motorbike. This way I am fucking around with both a motorbike AND OBSCURE TRAVEL LITERATURE, which makes me sort of an intellectual, I'm sure you'll agree.

Rolly will be joining me on this trip, unless someone at Homeland Security has read the letters I have been sending them regarding Rolly being A FOREIGNER AND A THREAT TO MY WAY OF LIFE. I haven't received any responses, though, so my pleas may have fallen on deaf ears.

Anyways, we'll basically be leaving the 8th, heading west along routes 40/70 to Pueblo Colorado or thereabouts, then taking a left towards Albuquerque, then a right to Los Angeles, up to San Francisco, and back east toward Colorado for the Ragnarok-type festivities.

There are some more further details on the blog I set up for this purpose, which will also be updated from the road using FANCY NEW TECHNOLOGIES, such as "Twitter," which is a way to send pictures of cats THROUGH YOUR CELL PHONE!!! It can be found at http://www.acrossamericabymotorcycle.blogspot.com, because that is the name of the book, except for the www, the blogspot and the .com, which are just there because they make you do that in order to be on the internet.

Feel free to become a "follower." (Note to my existing followers: this is a totally different thing, they just call it that. You still need to wear the uniforms).

Some of you may have already been contacted by someone claiming to be me and looking for advice on cheap lodging, etc. and others will probably be contacted in the near future with similar requests. We're probably going to be mostly camping, as we are both somewhat underemployed at the moment, and I have even purchased a camping stove, to minimize the time I have to ride before I've had my coffee, and possibly to blow myself up in a hilarious manner.

So that's the plan, such as it is. Thank you for reading, and I hope to see some of you along the way, possibly in your natural habitats, or, barring that, in the large mountainous oxygen dead zone in the middle of the country.

Yours &c.,
Rev. Chris

PS: Here is a map from 1915. I have no real idea where this takes us, but it's the part that goes through Arizona about halfway up the state, then towards LA. This navigating stuff is hard work.

Last edited by Rev on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a pawn shop typewriter now. The gov. gangsters have sprayed it with an odor that makes me sick and vomit. I type on the back door step in the fresh air.
Rev
51 Miles Better Than Rolly

Postby Jaeger » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:46 am

Fuckin' tremendous, man.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Vespalina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 am

It sounds jangleplatz! Have a fantastic time.
I wish I could leave my job for a couple of months and tour around the country up on two. But I have a really bad feeling that if I did that, my employer would think I had quit and I wouldn't have a job to come back to.
Hrm...wonder if they'd let me take off all 3 weeks in a row?
Hell on Wheels
Vespalina
Magnum Jihad

Postby thrasherbill » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:03 pm

So jealous of this and Ghost's cross country trip. I tried to book 2 weeks off in a row in August to tag a west coast trip onto the Harry Reerer run and got denied.
KZ's are for assholes... - scumbag
Well, if KZ riders are assholes, and CB riders are fucktards, I guess Buell riders can forthwith be known as cunts. - guitargeek
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb. - piccini9
In other news, I want to have sex with your bike. - Beemer Dan
A beard, it's like tits for your face. - MagnusTheBuilder
thrasherbill
Burninator of the Dirt Oval

BANNER!:
Canada

Postby goose » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Definition of pure AWESOMESAUCE ladled all over the roads of this amazing country. Color me JHELEEEZE!
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby piccini9 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 pm

You need to print that 1915 map on some yellow paper, fold it up, spill some coffee on it, and pull it out EVERY time you stop to ask directions.

Have fun storming the castle!
Adding pink and unicorns makes everything better.
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly
piccini9
Everybody dies. It's a love story.

Postby Priest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Between yourself, Rolly, Ghost, and RC26, I'm starting to think that unemployment is the thing to do. Seriously, I can barely find the time to ride to dinner.
Priest.
Priest
Ancient Mariner

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Jaeger » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm

Priest wrote:Between yourself, Rolly, Ghost, and RC26, I'm starting to think that unemployment is the thing to do. Seriously, I can barely find the time to ride to dinner.

Fuckin' +1.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Rev » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:08 pm

I scoff at you job-havers, with your bill-paying and your fripperies and your fine linen waistcoats.
Suck my freedom, squares!
I have a pawn shop typewriter now. The gov. gangsters have sprayed it with an odor that makes me sick and vomit. I type on the back door step in the fresh air.
Rev

Postby rc26 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Looks like a good ride. I'm truly envious.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Stole it.
rc26
The Devil's Banana

Postby rolly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Priest wrote:Between yourself, Rolly, Ghost, and RC26, I'm starting to think that unemployment is the thing to do. Seriously, I can barely find the time to ride to dinner.

Yup, unemployment is the new black.

thrasherbill wrote:So jealous of this and Ghost's cross country trip. I tried to book 2 weeks off in a row in August to tag a west coast trip onto the Harry Reerer run and got denied.

See above.
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby Whiskeywrist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Not sure what the timing is going to be like, but you guys should certainly try to rendezvous with the PNW cell approach to the Rag if you're in the neighborhood.

Our gmap is pretty well finalized with our daily camp spot destinations, and can be found in the "regional planning" section.

I wish you gentlemen almost the best of luck on this journey, as a token bit of tribulation or mishap becomes the catalyst for true adventure!
================================
2014 Aprilia Tuono
Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Bookmark...done.

Have fun! Sounds like an excellent idea for a roadtrip.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby SomeMook » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Awesomesauce. I want to come with, but blah blah blah. I hate you guys. :wink:
All the unhappiness in the world is caused by self-delusion. -E.H.
SomeMook
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby AZRider » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Take good pix with a good camera.

Contact Christa Neuhauser at RoadRunner magazine to see if she'll pay you for the story http://www.roadrunner.travel
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby UndertheGun » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Cool. Very jealous.

http://www.onread.com/reader/49495
Edit* Oops, it looks like there is a much better online version linked through your blog.
UndertheGun
Barista of Doom

Postby xtian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:20 pm

great, a summer soap.
thanks for documenting and enjoy the road.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby GeekGrl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Fecking brilliant, mate!

* also, fecking jealous you mangy sods! :-)
"This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do." -- Mal Reynolds

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250 (sold, may it have new journeys)

Tales from a solo ride: www.waywardrider.com
GeekGrl
Magnum Jihad

Postby Rev » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

Whiskeywrist wrote:Not sure what the timing is going to be like, but you guys should certainly try to rendezvous with the PNW cell approach to the Rag if you're in the neighborhood.

Our gmap is pretty well finalized with our daily camp spot destinations, and can be found in the "regional planning" section.

We'll be heading there from San Francisco (if things go according to plan), so Scofield State Park looks like the best possibility for a meetup, but are you stopping there on the way to or the way from?
Rev

Postby Midliferider » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:33 am

Sounds like the prefect plan for someone with no planning skills. May I send you a photo of me, that you can carry with you for good luck? If you find yourself in trouble, just look at my image and ask yourself.... what would midlife do?
The world is full of warnings. An elevator smells different to a midget.
Midliferider
Yogurt

Postby Rev » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 am

Midlife, I'll be passing through Columbus on the 8th on the way to meet Rolly in Indianapolis (or thereabouts). I have to do 600 miles that day, and I'm notoriously distractable when I'm by myself ("HOLY CRAP! IS THAT A FIBERGLASS DINOSAUR?!"), but maybe we could do a quick meet and greet. You're around 400 miles from Baltimore, so it would probably be late afternoon/early evening by the time I get there, barring incidents and roadside attractions.
Rev

Postby Midliferider » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:06 am

Rev I sent a pm to ya. I thought you were coming in from the west, Doh. I see now you're coming from the east going west. Anyways the exit is well marked to Reynoldsburg. Check in if you have the time to stop. Stay safe. Ohio is a police state with many smoky the bears packing radar. Pay attention. Hope to meet ya.
The world is full of warnings. An elevator smells different to a midget.
Midliferider
Yogurt

Postby Rev » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 am

PM returned, and thanks for the tip regarding The Man.
Rev

Postby 12ci » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 am

AZRider wrote:Take good pix with a good camera.

+1

speaking of which, let me know if you need more memory cards or an spare battery.

when do you leave ?
today you decide what tomorrow will bring
12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
US Distric of Columbia

Postby rolly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:20 am

Launching Monday.
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby red » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:52 am

rolly wrote:Launching Monday.

Like everyone else, I'm jealous!!! Hopefully we'll get to meet up around Indy. Stay safe and enjoy the ride!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

numnumnum

Postby Drift » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 am

What all those other jealous bastards said.
The Lemonade is a LIE!!! - Captain

1999 Kawasaki 1500 Drifter
1993 GSXR 750 RatFighter (in progress)
Drift
Magnum Jihad

Postby rolly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:30 am

rolly wrote:Launching <s>Monday</s> Tuesday.

Yeah, as I said all along, Tuesday.
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby Rev » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 pm

rolly wrote:
rolly wrote:Launching <s>Monday</s> Tuesday.

Yeah, as I said all along, Tuesday.

We're doomed.
Rev

Postby Whiskeywrist » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Rev wrote:
Whiskeywrist wrote:Not sure what the timing is going to be like, but you guys should certainly try to rendezvous with the PNW cell approach to the Rag if you're in the neighborhood.

We'll be heading there from San Francisco (if things go according to plan), so Scofield State Park looks like the best possibility for a meetup, but are you stopping there on the way to or the way from?

Scofield is going to be our first stop on the return leg.
(The descriptions on the left side of the map indicate the daily routes and stops)

We'd be happy to catch you guys on the way, but don't sweat it- we'll all be there at the end of the road...
================================
2014 Aprilia Tuono
Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Next

Return to Rants & Rides